Removing Public Records From Your Credit File

June 28, 2010 by  
Filed under Episodes

Public Records Dispute

Removing Public Records from your credit report

A few months ago, someone commented that I was wrong about a particular fact about foreclosure proceedings.  I said that they didn’t appear on your credit file if the foreclosure never closed  and the commenter argued that I was incorrect.  It turns out I was wrong — sort of.  Sometimes a foreclosure proceeding is reported as soon as the proceedings start and that’s what appears on your file.   You can dispute this by doing the normal credit report dispute process — right away.

Public access records will indicate any civil and or criminal litigation. As the bank started proceedings, it was set on the court calendar for hearing, assigned a case number which opens a record file under your name regardless of the out come, verdict or settlement prior to the hearing.

The natural way to dispute this is via the credit report dispute process.    Here are other things you can think about, which will help fortify your chances of getting the item removed from your credit report.

Getting the record dismissed.

Go to your county courthouse and get a copy of your cases dismissal. If one was not filed by your old mortgage company, get them to file it. (They are obligated to dismiss the case after they’ve received payment).  If you get the case dismissed, then you have a high probability that when you file a dispute, the bank will have have to verify that the case has been dismissed.

Getting the record sealed

You are eligible to have your records sealed only if:

  • You were not charged
  • The case against you was completely dismissed
  • You were acquitted of all charges
  • FYI, no criminal justice information involving a conviction may be sealed

You may want to enlist a lawyer with any of this, but often times you can do this on your own.

Similar Posts:


6 Responses to “Removing Public Records From Your Credit File”

  1. Virginia on June 5th, 2011 12:12 pm

    I filed twice for Chapter 13 bankruptcy to try to keep my house. I had gotten into debt by borrowing money that were high interest loans. My mortgage payments doubled when I filed the second time and finally, I couldn’t make those payments either. The bank foreclosed on my house and resold it. My bankruptcy was discharged or dismissed, I can’t remember which, in 2006. Is there any way I can get these two huge bad marks on my credit report removed? Some other items that should have been paid off in the bankruptcies are still showing up and also making a low score for me.

  2. VideoCreditScore-Andy on June 17th, 2011 11:41 pm

    Sorry but it will take about 7 years for this to fall off. 2013 should be a good year for you, if you had these issues in 2006.

  3. Jennifer on June 22nd, 2011 6:06 am

    I owe the State of Georgia for an old tax bill. I made payment arrangements with the collection agency they turned me over too. I would have have paid the thing off, but lost my job, like many other Americans, around the same time this tax mess began so I couldn’t. My original bill was around $1100, and they reported it on my credit under PUBLIC RECORDS I owe $2500. I have been hit with a huge penalty that doubled my bill. The collection agency would not reduce the bill whatsoever.. This is killing my credit and killing my chances of getting a job even though I have been paying monthly payments for almost two years now at $85.00 per month.. I still owe $600.00… Do I have any rights of any kind?

  4. Cam on June 23rd, 2011 4:52 am

    My ex-husband and I rented a townhouse back in 2000-2001. Our marriage was coming to an end and I moved out and signed a paper in the office to remove my name from the lease. That form required both of our signatures but due to the circumstances the office worker suggested I sign and leave it there for him to sign when he came in and they would mail it completed to my new address. Well that person lost her job and him (and new girlfriend) ended up getting evicted 2 months later (which I just recently discovered). Years later I have found that since they were unable to locate him to recover unpaid rent they came after me because we were still legally married, and I more recently found that it is on my credit. Is there any way I can fight this my ex realizes it had nothing to do with me and said he would sign something or do what was necessary to excuse me from his debt but how do I go about disputing this and separating myself from his debt… Please help!

  5. dore on October 10th, 2011 6:55 pm

    i recently went home oversea for a vacation and overstayed. when i came back my doors were lock,i called the apartment complex management and they said to me that i was been evicted. next day i went to the them begging that i wanted to pay my rent and that they should let me stay. they said to me that i should paid all of the rent and the court cost and reapply. what is the chance that they will let me rent their property. other problem is i can only pay about 80% of what they are asking me to pay now,the accountant wouldn’t let me make a payment arrangement for the 20% she is saying to me that i pay the 80% and make arrangement with the collection company for the 20% and that once the arrangement is made with the collection company this whole thing will not appear on my credit. is this true?
    please advice im confuseeeeeeeeeee………..

  6. VideoCreditScore-Andy on October 19th, 2011 10:25 pm

    If you do anything with a collection agency, it will make it on to your credit report. You could ask them to accept the 80% as full payment or tell them you will give them nothing. If they accept, you have to make it conditional that it’s paid in full and no black marks are reported. Best of luck.

Ask a question, make a comment, share tips